Ken Burgin talks with chef and kitchen management expert Andrew Briese of Cooking the Books. In the first of two podcast interviews, they had a lively discussion about the initial stages of the food management sequence – ordering, storage and stock control. Topics covered include:
- Common mistakes people make when they choose suppliers
- Best practice for ordering methods and deciding on quantities
- Best practice with storage of dry, cold and frozen product
- Managing the ever-present problem of theft
- Stocktake methods for small operators – who usually never do a stocktake!
- Managing and measuring food wastage